Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Its been a really tough week this week. I found out that one of my teenagers from my old youth group in Colorado committed suicide. I remember this kid well because she was one of those unforgettable kids. She cracked me up regularly but also had this deep compassion for other people. In our youth program she was a leader kid...one of those that always came, and one of those you looked forward to seeing every time.

They say she was in some trouble and didn't know where to turn. This week, I heard stories of the brokenheartedness of her friends and her family and I know they would have been there for her had she made the choice to turn towards them. Tomorrow is the funeral and many of those who loved this woman will be gathering to share memories and stories and just to be a support to one another in this horrible, awful situation.

It seems that a lot of people wonder where God is right now. When life hurts so much, where did God go. There is a song by Third Day called "When the rain comes". The lyrics say "I can't stop the rain, from falling down on you again. I can't stop the rain but I will hold you till it goes away." I love this song because it makes sense in my head. Rain happens and God doesn't make it go away...but God is with us in the middle of the storm and there is comfort in that. I know there have been times I have been absolutely furious with God and thought God had just left me alone to fend in the dark places. But I didn't understand....Bad things happen and at the same time God is present, holding us and crying with us. God does not make bad things happen, but God also does not keep bad things from happening. God is very real and very present, and very much holding us and weeping with us when life doesn't make sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment